Re: Vibration/Noise

To: TR250Driver@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vibration/Noise
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:56:01 EST
In a message dated 3/2/2006 6:11:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, TR250Driver
writes:

> replaced the driveshaft a couple of times in the 70 Spit MK3 before I
> noticed that the flange on the diff was bent and distorted which was the
>source of
> a severe vibration at speed. There are a bunch of them in the drivetrain.
> Other experiences with this car include bad wire wheels, a bent half shaft in
> the rear and dropped thrust washers on the Crank.  All created vibrations.  I
> have found that Spits in general like to vibrate.

No argument there. The nice thing about a Spit is that all the vibrations are
within four feet of where you're sitting so they are usually easy to pick out
and chase down. This noise is kind of omni-present, though. The truth is this
is the only Spitfire I've driven, so it could be normal for all I know, but I
hope not. Thrust bearings are new.

My 76 1500 has vibrated in the past but is behaving herself lately.  Bad rear

> bearings and u-joints were the cause there although you don't seem to have
> the signature clicking/clunking noise.

Oh, never fear, I have the obligatory u-joint noise. It IS a Spitfire, after
all.

Don't forget those Engine, Gearbox and Diff mounts. Out of balance wheels and

> tires will cause problems too. Both Spits really like the set of Panasports
> with modern tires that I interchange on them. Such a small car, sometimes is
> it best just to play "Good Vibrations" on the sound system until something
> breaks?
>  Cheers,
>  Darrell

Well, there are good vibrations and bad vibrations. Aside from the annoying
noise, I just want to be sure this doesn't slowly loosen every bolt and wear
out the tranny and diff bearings. A louder radio is on the short list of future
purchases.

Thanks,

Tom B.

===     http://www.vtr.org