RE: U-Joint bolts

To: pelevesque@globetrotter.net
Subject: RE: U-Joint bolts
From: "v6spitfireguy@cox.net" <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:50:50 -0500
Paul,
Not sure exactly what you are trying to say but the bolts *should* have an
unthreaded shoulder almost equal to or a little less than the thickness of
both flanges. The reason for this is that it provides a better loading
surface for these bolts since they will take the full shear loading of the
torque from the engine.  If fully threaded bolts were to be used they will
eventually lathe thread marks into the holes, and will over time, elongate
the holes from this action.  That aside, fully threaded bolts wont be
quite as strong in shear since the diameter at the loaded section will
effectively be the minor diameter of the threads.

        I have install new U-Joint bolts on drive shaft and wheels axles,and old
bolts have a 5/16 length shanks (read no thread) I am wandering if I should
remove them and replace them with bolts that have a length of 5/16 shank.
Both flanges have a shoulder so it can move sideway, and the diameter of the
bolt shank part is one thousands and half inches larger. Is it that critical
I an in doubt? What do you think?

http://mail2web.com/ .

===     http://www.vtr.org