Re: U-Joint bolts

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: U-Joint bolts
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:18:26 -0500
The four bolt shanks are what locates the flange faces together, ensuring
they are centered to each other.  Going with a non-spec bolt that has a
smaller shank will allow the flange faces to not be centered, increasing the
likelihood of vibrations.  If the bolts your car currently has are
undersized, then going with larger diameter bolts would be a good idea.  Not
all previous owners used the correct bolts when putting their cars back
together again.

As the other poster mentioned, the smooth shank of the bolts should almost
protrude from the joined flange faces.  You do not want threads down into
the joint as that is a weaker connection.  Things won't move once the nuts
are tightened, but the bolts will be more likely to break in use.  True,
it's unlikely to happen, but it's not something I'd intentionally court.