Engine evaluation II

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Engine evaluation II
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:47:02 -0800
Thanks for the great input, especially Razorbob, Doug, Jim and Mike.
The engine is on a stand, and came without water pump housing. Here's a
summary:
It turns by hand with effort, and resistance can be felt as compression
builds. Had been drained of oil, but there was about an ounce still there.
The pan is open and I've removed a rod bearing. It is marked .010 so must
have been rebuilt at some time in the past, 05DE95 is marked on it. The
bearing surface looks very good, no signs of wear. Around each bearing, and
between them and the surface they mate with, is a kind of white goo. Journal
looks good as well, no appearance of wear. Looking from below, cylinder
walls are smooth, no appearance of cross-hatching, no visual signs of lines.
Suspicion is that the goo is oil mixed with condensation.  Implies long term
storage, which I have no special reason to doubt.
It's been recommended to remove all the caps and thoroughly clean the goo
off, then re-assemble with plenty of assembly lube. I'll add new thrust
washers at the same time, while its open.
So far so good, sounds like a plan!

Nick Moseley
(NASS #278)
76-81 Spits
Vancouver B.C.)
(Sorry for the replication onto multple lists)

===     http://www.vtr.org