Re: Engine evaluation II

To: Nick Moseley <nmoseley@dccnet.com>, nass@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: Engine evaluation II
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:26:31 -0800 (PST)
> Suspicion is that the goo is oil mixed with
> condensation.  Implies long term
> storage, which I have no special reason to doubt.

If the white goo is oil emulsified with water, the
more likely cause is running the engine for a brief
time,
not long enough to get hot and evaporate away the
condensation from blow-by.  If moisture had gotten
during storage, it would probably just settle down in
the sump.

> It's been recommended to remove all the caps and
> thoroughly clean the goo
> off, then re-assemble with plenty of assembly lube.

If you're going through all that trouble, you might
want to get some Plastigage and check the bearing
clearances.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org