Brake line update

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake line update
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:51:37 -0400
I spent part of today (first day back from vacation) wrenching on the
Spitfire, including bleeding the new brake lines.  It was an
interesting experience.  Someone had told me that flared fittings
such as on brake lines should be "no tighter than necessary",
typically one flat tighter than first contact.  Funny thing though,
after pumping up the pedal I discovered a few drippers, not quite
fountains but clearly not ready for prime time.  (That's why we check
the pool before diving into the deep end.)  A bit of judicious
tightening seems to have fixed everything.  I suppose that's how you
define "necessary", isn't it? :-)

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com