Re: Good news - the tranny's out

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good news - the tranny's out
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 08:16:33 -0500
On 1 Dec 2006 at 23:19, S1500 wrote:

> After toiling for 5 hours(now 15 hours total), the car gave
> birth to a 4-speed single rail OVD transmission.

Great!

> I worked up a major sweat trying to get the output flange
> up and over,

Yes it is work and getting that flange to clear everything is a major
hurdle.  It will be easier the next time.

> It's not so much as the weight of the gearbox(a bit more than
> my battery), but the lack of grasp

Yep.  That sounds familiar.

> Getting the 4 bolts for the end-of-overdrive mounting plate
> (near the flange) was impossible...
> I opted for the 2 bolts on the overdrive

Might be easier with two people but the two bolts into the back of
the OD are easier.  Re-aligning them is tricky because the supporting
jack has to be run down just the right amount.  However it can be
done.

> Now I gotta read up on removing the clutch.

It's easy.  Just the dozen or so bolts holding the pressure plate to
the flywheel.  Be aware that you WILL need a clutch alignment tool
(or an old tranny input shaft) to get it back in.  Without aligning
the disk it may seem okay but if it ain't right you'll never get the
gearbox to mesh with the pilot bushing.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com