Re: Good news - the tranny's out

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good news - the tranny's out
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 01:36:15 -0500
>It's easy.  Just the dozen or so bolts holding the pressure plate to
>the flywheel.  Be aware that you WILL need a clutch alignment tool
>(or an old tranny input shaft) to get it back in.  Without aligning
>the disk it may seem okay but if it ain't right you'll never get the
>gearbox to mesh with the pilot bushing.

This had to be just plain dumb luck, but the last time I was all set
to snug the tranny back up to my engine I couldn't find my darned
alignment tool! So I used the good old Mark I eyeball and a
screwdriver to line up the clutch splines. Darned if it didn't snick
right into place on the first try - easier than the couple times I
have done it with the tool! Bet I couldn't do it that way again so
easily in a million years.

I still say that it is easier to take the engine and transmission out
of a Spitfire as a unit rather than drag the heavy, greasy thing out
through the cockpit.

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine
Freddy the Spit (about to begin a suspension overhaul as this winters project)

===     http://www.vtr.org