RE: Crank Shaft Pulley Removal

To: "'Jim Muller'" <jimmuller@rcn.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Crank Shaft Pulley Removal
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:43:23 -0700
I concur.  Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@Autox.Team.Net [mailto:spitfires-owner@Autox.Team.Net]
On Behalf Of Jim Muller
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 9:19 PM
To: spitfires@autox.team.net

On 17 Dec 2006 at 21:44, Michael ONeill wrote:

> Would someone on the list confirm for me which direction you turn the nut
> that holds the crank shaft pulley on the Spitfire engine.

Ummmmm, I pulled mine off a few years ago to check if the chain
tensioner was broken.  (It wasn't.)  IIRC, it was a normal righthand
thread.  However I wouldn't stake my life on that.  It's not a clear
memory other than that I smashed a finger pretty good.  I was holding
a smaller pipe or wrench or something to try and keep the engine from
turning (don't remember what it might have been attached to) while a
big burly friend pulled in the opposite direction on a large breaker
bar.  I lost.  But I'm pretty sure it was a righthanded thread.

Why do say yours is frozen?  They're on pretty tight!

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org