Re: 1500 engine rebuild

To: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>, "Jerry Stasyszen"
Subject: Re: 1500 engine rebuild
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:04:43 -0500
Definitely gutless wonders, worse with each year of production.  By the time
the end was reached, it was embarrassing to race kids on bicycles.  Though
you could finally pull away from them at top speed.

Easily maltuned so they run even slower, though smoothly.  Between
incredibly late ignition timing, a catalytic converter so close to the
exhaust it would melt and plug, and the most frustrating vacuum setup
hanging on the side of the ZS carburetor, getting them down to less than 20
hp was remarkably easy to do.  In which case, it would indeed not go past 60
mph.