Layshaft dowel pin connection to OD adaptor?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Layshaft dowel pin connection to OD adaptor?
From: S1500 <s1500@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:53:16 -0600
I'm in the rebuild process of the tranny. One thing I ran into was with
the new layshaft. I put the dowel pin in with my greatest strength, and
slid 'er in in the gearbox.

But, when I put the front of the overdrive adaptor in, I position the
dowel downward so it fits in the bottommost groove. But the dowel
doesn't slide in all the way. Thus, when I put the gearbox rear face +
OD adaptor together, there's a sure gap.

1. Should the dowel go all the way in the groove? I noticed there's more
room for the layshaft to go inside.

2. Or it just right, to accomidate the gasket between the box & Od
adaptor? It seems way too generous of a gap for a gasket to fit through.

If #1 is true, would I be safe filing down the dowel just a tiny bit? If
I scraped it off a tiny bit, it would surely go through in there.

Or am I doing this all wrong, and the dowel should face up in the OD
adaptor? With the groove in the OD adaptor, it looks like the layshaft
dowel should face down.

So far, the gearbox thrust washers I got from spitbits.com are just
simply too thick for me to use. The laygears wouldn't turn unless I hand
moved it with a lot of force. A combo of 1 old + new seems to be okay.
I'm wondering if I should take the safe route and go back to the old
ones since old + new might place the laygears a bit too far or back. Ugh.

===     http://www.vtr.org