RE: [Spit] Ongoing brake master cylinder saga

To: "'Jim Cullen'" <ccullen16@cogeco.ca>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Spit] Ongoing brake master cylinder saga
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 21:29:33 -0700
Jim, don't be sorry to e-mail the list. Many of us have had occasion to tap
into the collective wisdom, and are eager to repay the favor. Those that
don't want to reply, won't.

There have been mixed responses to the question of whether or not to buy a
new master. One supplier is on record as saying that by the time this item
fails, more often than not it needs to be replaced or re-sleeved due to
corrosion anyway, or words to that affect. Very valid comment if you are
paying an hourly shop rate to someone to pull and replace it. It comes down
to how easily you can and will part with $s for your Spit, and whether you
are happy to invest more money (and your time) into this one, when that same
money could go into buying a new master, and you might end up having to buy
a new one anyway.

You mention pitting, how bad is it?

I've had some success using a hone in a drill to remove light pitting, and
installing a seal kit. The hone was not expensive, and for me this is a
hobby so spending the time was not a major concern. If it were me, having
already invested the time you have, I'd buy the hone and try it, (if only
out of cussedness and the spirit of experimentation, if nothing else!) If it
has not been able to remove the pitting after a couple of minutes of using
the hone, then you probably need a replacement master.
HTH

Nick Moseley

===     http://www.vtr.org