Re: [Spit] HS4 choke time.

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spit] HS4 choke time.
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 18:28:13 -0400
On 6 May 2007 at 18:10, The Family Jefferson wrote:

> How long should a set of HS4 carburetors on a Spitfire 1500
> have full choke on (from start up) until it should be reduced
> or shut off ?

I have HS4s on my GT6 (installed by a PO), not a Spitfire, so I'm
speaking only from general knowledge instead of experience.  But I'd
say 1/2 hr is way too long.  It should need choke for only 5 to 10
minutes, just long enough for the intake manifold to warm up enough
so that gas doesn't condense on the walls.  For whazt it's worth, the
owner's manual for the GT6's original ZS carb said that the first two
clicks should give an idle boost only, that the choke engaged only
with the third click or higher.  So I set my HS4s that way.  I don't
drive it in winter but I do drive it on some fairly colde fall or
srping days, and I never use more than three clicks.  All 5 or 6
clicks would be way too rich for running once it is started.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org