RE: [Spit] a not-so-good clutch sound

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Spit] a not-so-good clutch sound
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:10:25 -0400
I would also check the thrust washers.  When they fall
out, the crank can make a whirring noise as it is no longer
riding on an oil film.  Plus it gives a strange feeling to
the clutch.

Hopefully that's not it.

Greg Rowe

>From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
>To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
>Subject: [Spit] a not-so-good clutch sound
>Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 17:12:51 -0400
>
>Last summer after much delay and aggravation I finally got a working
>Spitfire tranny and OD from Quantum Mechanics.  It's a long story
>which I won't go into now, but it's pertinent because it sets up this
>current problem.  When I first installed this tranny the clutch
>didn't disengage until the pedal was all the way down to the floor.
>I've lived with it but it seemed odd.
>
>Lately the pedal has seemed to have less travel and seems to get
>harder to depress over the last third of what travel it does have.
>And now it has started making a whirring sound when I do depress it
>far enough to disengage.  I haven't driven it much this spring
>anyway, but now I've parked it (again.)
>
>This sure seems like the clutch arm pivot pin has fallen out, or
>broken, or worn through, or whatever they do when they fail.  I guess
>I'll be pulling out at least the tranny cover soon.  With luck I
>won't have to pull the tranny itself.
>
>Before I start all this I wouldn't mind a bit of confirmation, yay or
>nay, on this diagnosis.  What say you Triumphisti?  Have you ever
>experienced this failure before?  Can one replace, or simply place
>with no re- to it, the pin without pulling the bell housing from the
>block?  (Dunit too many times to enjoy it.)
>
>Tanks.  Happy Memorial Day.  Thanks to all those who toil or have
>toiled to keep us free.  Double thanks to those who gave their lives
>in the struggle.  Be safe everyone.  The highway is a dangerous
>place.
>
>Jim Muller
>jimmuller@rcn.com

PC Magazines 2007 editors choice for best Web mailaward-winning Windows
Live Hotmail.

===     http://www.vtr.org