[Spit] a not-so-good clutch sound

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spit] a not-so-good clutch sound
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 17:12:51 -0400
Last summer after much delay and aggravation I finally got a working
Spitfire tranny and OD from Quantum Mechanics.  It's a long story
which I won't go into now, but it's pertinent because it sets up this
current problem.  When I first installed this tranny the clutch
didn't disengage until the pedal was all the way down to the floor.
I've lived with it but it seemed odd.

Lately the pedal has seemed to have less travel and seems to get
harder to depress over the last third of what travel it does have.
And now it has started making a whirring sound when I do depress it
far enough to disengage.  I haven't driven it much this spring
anyway, but now I've parked it (again.)

This sure seems like the clutch arm pivot pin has fallen out, or
broken, or worn through, or whatever they do when they fail.  I guess
I'll be pulling out at least the tranny cover soon.  With luck I
won't have to pull the tranny itself.

Before I start all this I wouldn't mind a bit of confirmation, yay or
nay, on this diagnosis.  What say you Triumphisti?  Have you ever
experienced this failure before?  Can one replace, or simply place
with no re- to it, the pin without pulling the bell housing from the
block?  (Dunit too many times to enjoy it.)

Tanks.  Happy Memorial Day.  Thanks to all those who toil or have
toiled to keep us free.  Double thanks to those who gave their lives
in the struggle.  Be safe everyone.  The highway is a dangerous
place.

Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org