Re: [Spits] Softer than stock front springs

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Softer than stock front springs
From: "foxtrapper@aceweb.com" <foxtrapper@aceweb.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:07:54 -0800
No, a 2" reduction in coil length will not inherently result in a 2" drop in
the cars height.  That
only works out so simply in a mcpherson strut where the spring is straight up
and down at the end
of the suspension motion.  On a Spitfire, the spring is mounted a bit inboard
on the arm, and at an
angle.  You need to take both factors into account to really get an accurate
estimate on drop.  Off
hand, I'd expect a 2" coil reduction to produce more like a 3" car drop on a
Spitfire.

Yes, reducing spring rate by the same percentage as vehicle weight reduction is
a reasonably
accurate starting point.  There's a bit more to it, particularly the rebound
frequency, but you
probably aren't interested in that aspect.

As for suppliers, any of the shops specializing in smaller coils can provide
them for you.  Even
places like Jegs will have them.  All you need is the diameter, which I can't
remember at the
moment.