Re: [Spits] battery rec??

To: maya2blue@juno.com, nass@yahoogroups.com, NASS-club@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [Spits] battery rec??
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 04:53:31 -0700 (PDT)
The twelve-volt variety works well.  :-)

Really, the Spit doe snot need a huge amount of power
to start its small engine, so it's not too picky about
its battery.

I bought my battery about 6 years ago at Wal-Mart for
$36, and it's still going fine.  (Battery prices have
gone up a lot since then, since the price of lead has
increased about 5x.)

The thing you have to watch for is your battery going
bad from lack of charging, caused by the car sitting
unused for weeks or months at a time.  If you keep it
charged, filled (with distilled water), and clean, a
cheaper better will last a pretty long time.

I think those Optima batteries are sort of a waste,
since they cost 3X a regular one, and even if it lasts
twice as long as a regular one, it still costs more.

One last thing:  Some of those battery application
charts may list the wrong size for a Spitfire.  Be
sure to compare the new battery against the old before
walking out of the store with it.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit