Re: [Spits] Rear Height

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Rear Height
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 21:36:35 -0400
At 08:09 PM 7/2/2010, you wrote:
>Fellow Listers;
>This afternoon, I attempted to adjust the rear brakes on my '77 Spit.  When I
>jacked up one side, I noticed that the wheel "tucked in" rather dramatically
>(i.e., the bottom of the tire angled in toward the center of the
>car...positive camber I believe).  This was so dramatic that the half-shaft
>actually touched the frame and the wheel wouldn't spin properly.
>Is this normal...or is this the classic sign of a sagging rear spring?
>I have worked on the rear suspension recently (over the winter), in which I
>installed a used differential.  While that was a long and involved repair,
>nothing untoward happened with that.
>Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Matt Milkevitch'77 SpitfireWillow Grove, PA

Sounds pretty normal to me. It's a single-pivot swing axle, so that
is what happens when you jack it up. You will get a bit less
deflection when you jack up both sides at the same time, I think,
which is why you probably didn't notice it previously.

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine
Freddy the Spitfire of many varied bits and model years, whose
chassis is also a '77 - bought 15 years ago next Thursday, one of us
is getting old!

Spitfires@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47