RE: fulcrum pins

To: "'Vllas@aol.com'" <Vllas@aol.com>
Subject: RE: fulcrum pins
From: Dave Formstone <dformsto@compusmart.ab.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:16:03 -0700
Cc: "'Sprite list'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The truth of the matter is that propane is hot enough to melt silver solder.
However due to the mass of A arms you will need lots of heat. A regular hand
held propane torch using the 14 or 16 oz bottles will not be enough. Oxy
acetylene is by far the best way to go.
If your existing fulcrum pin is frozen in and cannot be removed then you should
be able to heat up both bushings at the same time and remove them together.
Once they are out clean the holes so that the new bushings will slide in. I
prefer them to be a little tight, that way they are less likely to move while
silver soldering them in place. Insert both bushings and thread the fulcrum pin
in. Adjust the bushings so that they centered and 1" apart. (Check this
distance prior to removing your old ones as my memory has been known to falter)
If the bushings are snug in their holes you should be able to remove the
fulcrum pin. Once removed silver solder the larger of the two bushings in
place. Let it cool and install the fulcrum pin again to recheck the alignment
of the second bushing. If all is well remove the fulcrum pin carefully make
sure the bushing does not move. With the fulcrum pin removed silver solder the
second bushing in place. After it has cooled the fulcrum bushing should thread
into both bushings with minimum force. Do the same for the second A arm and
that's all there is to it. One word of caution, DO NOT SILVER SOLDER THE
BUSHINGS WITH THE NEW FULCRUM PINS IN AS THEY WILL LOOSE THEIR TEMPERING AND
WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED.
Sorry for being long winded.
If I can be of any further help let me know.
Good luck.
Dave F.
1960 Bugeye.