Re: Tallest and Heaviest Midget Owners

To: "Nolan, Michael F." <MICHAEL_NOLAN@cuusa.com>
Subject: Re: Tallest and Heaviest Midget Owners
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 19:24:27 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
<MICHAEL_NOLAN@cuusa.com> wrote:
>6'  255lb's in a 78 Midget
>
>I gotta ask..  with a 34" inseam, I hardly have any right knee room.
>Where does a person put their
>right knee when they are 6'4" ????

Les Myer - 6"4" - 230 pounds - 36" inseam - in a 67 Sprite.  The earlier
Sprites don't have a console so my leg rests against the shifter tower
nicely (gets a little hot, though - a bath towel is mandatory equipment for
long trips in shorts).  My biggest problem initially was getting my left
foot onto the clutch while driving - my knee always hit between the steering
wheel and the window crank and this could be quite painful in panic stop
situations.  I put a Momo steering wheel on that was 1/2" dished and 1/2"
smaller than stock - problem solved.  Getting in and out with the top down
is no problem - slide right in - but with the top up I have to sit in the
seat sideways, cross my right leg across my left (pulling it towards me with
my hand), swivel in the seat, put my right foot on the floor, pull my left
knee to my body, bring my left leg in and place it on the floor - then I
close the door!  After doing this hundreds of times, it becomes pretty much
a fluid motion that can be done very rapidly and amuses/amazes passers-by.
After someone observes this procedure, I look at them - they look at me and
we both burst out in laughter.  When I had 145/80-13s on the car I could
also (barely) touch the road with my middle finger by simply hanging my arm
out the window - that was always good for a few laughs.  However, once I'm
in, I'm quite comfortable, even on long-distance trips.

When I finish the 77 Midget I am sure I will surely delete the console and
put a similar steering wheel on it.

>Another question!!    Has anyone modified their gas pedal so you get a
>little more legroom ???

Mike, I suspect if you get rid of the console, your leg will be oriented
completely differently - giving you more apparent legroom by allowing your
right leg a completely different position.

Where there's a will, there's a way!

Les Myer
lmyer@qtm.net
67 Sprite