Re: Crankshaft nut

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft nut
From: Adrian <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 11:04:46 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I bought mine at a local auto-parts place.  East Tennessee is known for
its interest in muscle cars, especially out on this side of town :-)  so
strange tools are easy to come by!  Anyway, I believe for my '75 cars I
got a 1 7/16" but I can't remember for sure, I doubt it's the same size
nut on the 1275 engine.

With my current project, I tried EVERYthing to get the freakin' bolt
off.  I had somebody stand on the block to hold it, put a steel tube on
the end of the huge 1/2" wratchet thingy, and hung from the bar.  No
luck.  Finally, I got a lighter (I had been trying to heat the nut to
get it off) and looked down in the recess where the crank didn't come
all the way through the nut (if that makes sense) and saw that somebody
had WELDED the nut to the crankshaft.  After muttering multiple colorful
metaphors I put the engine in the car and headed over to pep boys.
Handed them my huge socket, they popped it on an air tool, and had that
nut off in two seconds.  Didn't charge me either!

Good luck, Tyson, with your quest!  :-)  Not even Sears (king of tools)
had that socket.  They just looked at me funny after I said "No..I mean
BIG sockets!" and told them what size.

adrian

--
email:  adrian@icx.net