'79 Midget Engine Stumbling

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '79 Midget Engine Stumbling
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 08:32:21 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I was driving Miss Molly, the '79 Midget 1500cc, last night when she
began to stumble under acceleration:  acted like she was starved for fuel
or was not getting spark.  When I would back off the gas, she would
smooth out.  I had just filled the gas tank.

I see two possible causes:

1.  Carb float sticking (lots of sediment in the filter).  I am adding an
additional filter and a pressure regulator (I know I need one of these
anyway).  Any suggestions on how to deal with the sediment in the tank?

2.  Bad coil.  I replaced this once with a non-ballast model, when she
was exhibiting similar symptoms, and it took care of them.  Molly has the
electronic ignition with the CEI control box mounted on the fender.
There is a ballast resistor in place and hooked up.  Is this right -- do
I need a ballast or non-ballast coil?  Can someone tell me which wires
(colors, please) should be hooked up and to what connections?

Thanks!

Rich