Re: mystery valve buildup

To: "robert weeks" <robert@woozy.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: mystery valve buildup
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:27:58 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Robert,
An idea from a non-expert (list join in at any time):
As you know, the carbon is caused by oil, which in that location I would
guess would be caused by either bad rings, or bad valve stem seals.  With
rings, you'd see blue smoke all the time, with seals, you'd see a puff of
blue out the tailpipe on startup.  On the back side of the valve like that,
I'd guess that when you shut the engine down hot, some oil is leaking past
the seal and coking on the back side of the valve, hence the puff at
startup.  Since the backside of the exhaust valves are hotter, the problem
would manifest itself there first.

Just a theory, but I'd check the seals.

Good luck,
Ron