Re: Brakes and MC's

To: Jason Urban <jurban@pond.com>
Subject: Re: Brakes and MC's
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 08 Apr 1998 01:58:50 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jason Urban <jurban@pond.com> writes:
>1) The clutch line _still_ is not done.  What are the ends of the solid
>steel lines called??  Double, ISO, "just cut"???   I'd like to get a tool
>and fittings to do my own pipes.

        Same as the brake lines; normal British lines (different than
normal US lines).  I forget the details; make sure you use the correct
type.  You can order flaring tools from the standard brit parts places,
or pre-made lines.

>2) Are there any upgrades to the Master Cylinder??  Right now it's the
>original for the '65, but since it's beginning to leak, I'd like to upgrade
>a bit.  Will I also have to replace the slaves on the clutch and brakes??

        If you know what you're doing, you can go to race-type hardware
(get a Pegasus catalog); or replace the system with the later dual-circuit
brake and separate clutch - but you'll have to do all the lines and add a
failure switch.  Slaves and brakes are the same I think.

>4) In the fall when I finally fired up the engine after the rebuild, but
>before the Crane, the engine had a tendency to rev up high.  Because of
>this, I would have to shut it down before it got too high and couldn't get a
>good idle.  Any ideas, even broad ideas, as to what could be causing this??
>The carbs also were set back to "default" settings before starting.

        Something was holding the butterflies open.  Make sure the idle
screws are barely cracking them, and that the linkage isn't holding one
open.  Also, if it has the pop-off overrun valves in the butterflies, make
sure they're not stuck open.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com