Re: Another Insurance Question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Another Insurance Question
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 13 Apr 1998 21:28:45 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM writes:
>>>happens if your house burns down or something and the car is
>>>destroyed, along with your house and/or other household
>>>goods?  Should a homeowners policy cover it?......

        Generally they don't, nor if a tree falls on it in your yard,
which happened to a friend.

>  Depends on your insurance company, the policy wording, -and your agent-.
>Friends of mine lost a Citroen when lightning hit their garage.  I think
>they had to argue a little, but it got covered by homeowner's because it
>was strictly "in storage" and not being driven at all and not insured by
>any kind of auto policy.  This was several years ago (~10?).

        On the other hand, if it's disassembled, I suspect that you could
make a good point that most of the car was merely "car parts" stored in the
garage, which I suspect are covered.  The hardest part would be the
chassis/body, if still in mostly one piece.  And of course this doesn't
help you (much) if most of the parts are still bolted to the car.

        If you _can_ get minimal comprehensive that's an obvious way to
go.  Another solution may be the "garage queen" policies - you aren't
likely to break 2500 miles when it doesn't move.  For them, though, you
usually are required to garage it, note.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com