Re: Side Mirrors....

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Side Mirrors....
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:16:58 -0400
Cc: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@pe.net>, "Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
re . . . Side Mirrors
It's simple.
Get into any decent race car and you'll find that you can see virtually
all around you just by moving your eyes and with peripheral vision you
can keep track of what's around you all the time. Sort of useful,
actually essential when racing.
Having been brought up in England before Motorways it was also kind of
essential there too if you wanted to make good progress - as we all did.
And to do this you had to have the mirrors, convex mirrors, out on the
fenders so that eye movement is sufficient- you didn't have to move your
head and loose sight of what's in front or to the other side.
Likewise on Japan's extremely crowded roads.
Where traffic is slow and drivers aren't required to have such skills it
does matter - door mounted mirrors will suffice and you don't need much
if any convexity to confuse the ill equipped driver with minimal
judgement.
Do you know why the passenger side mirror on American cars is now made
convex? - just so that you can see something behind you after all that
lettering takes up so much space.
Cheers
Derek