Re: Wrinkle paint

To: Spridget list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wrinkle paint
From: Packy Coleman <deadboy@hooked.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:06:45 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dave,

        I asked a similar question a while back on the Healeys list in the
dark days before we had our Spridgets list and I received the following
answer from Frank Clarici.  I confess that School and a failed transmission
rather sidelined any interior work on the Sprite for the time being, so I
have yet to try this out, but from what I've read over the past several
months, I trust the source!

>Yes there is a spray paint to match the original texture of the 67
>Sprite dash. And for about $5 at any Pep Boys or other large discount
>auto chain. Black Wrinkle Finish, also available at leading paint
>stores.
>Strip the dash using chemical paint remover, follow instructions and be
>sure to remove all the stripper from the dash. Do not prime the dash,
>just spray 3 coats as per instructions on the can. Here is the tricky
>part. Do this on a warm, sunny, afternoon. After you applied the 3 coats
>place the dash out in the direct sun, this will cause the paint to
>wrinkle evenly. A heat gun will work but it is not as even of a finish.
>Your kitchen oven will work but your wife may do bodily harm to you if
>she finds out, and she will when she smells baked paint!
>After the sun does its work, let the dash sit for at least 24 hours so
>the paint hardens. It will wrinkle in about 15 minutes in the sun but it
>will remain soft under the surface.

        On an aside, school finishes in about three  weeks, so in about a
month there should be another '67 five-speed sprite back on the road!  Wish
me luck!

                                                        Packy