Re: Bugeye grille fasteners

To: hello39@idt.net
Subject: Re: Bugeye grille fasteners
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:29:20 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

hello39@idt.net wrote:

> I have to wonder if someone has found a fasteners out there that holds
> the bugeye grille inplace and can be removed occassionally without
> destroying the clip or the tap on the grille.
> I am considering measuring the diameter of the pins and possibly
> threading them
> with a 8/32 die and using a nylon nut or a jam nut that won't vibrate
> loose.
> Another thought was a small electrical wire nut that is slightly tapered
> but might
> grab the end of the tab and slowly tighten itself as you turn. Either
> one would allow
> the grille to be removed with minimal wear and distortion to the tabs.
> Any one come up with a better way other than the original style clips?
> Alan

Alan

I found "thread cutting nuts" at my local hardware store.
They have a 3/8" head (wrench size) and cut a spiral on the grille studs.
I use a nut driver to install and remove these gizmos.
I have broken a stud on a cheesy Moss replacement (Taiwan) grille but my UK
replacement grille is a whole lot stronger, it fits nice too. And the thread
cutting nuts go on and off after the first initial thread cut, with ease.

Hope this helps
--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs