Vacuum Guage Timing (was 1275 timing advance)

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vacuum Guage Timing (was 1275 timing advance)
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 10:56:36 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I seem to recall that the "How to be a Home Mechanic" course I went to
about 20 years ago recommended just using a vacuum guage to do your timing.

Basically, you set the idle to about 4000rpm and then turn the distributor
until you get the highest, steady reading.  I've given it a go and it seems
OK (but I wouldn't know if it is optimal).

Has anyone got a view (as if you haven't!) on this method?

Greg