Re: Fan Clutch / Elec Fan / SICP on Sunday

To: <Mymgmidget@aol.com>, "Spridgets" <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fan Clutch / Elec Fan / SICP on Sunday
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:30:55 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>My 78 Midget has been heating up lately and I think the culprit may be the
>fan
>clutch.  Could someone please tell me how the heck the thing works ???. I
>have
>been told a good test is to shove a rolled up newpaper into the fan and
>see if
>you can stop it !!!  An electric fan may be in the works but it doesnt look
>like there is enough room between the radiator and the water pump.  Anyone
>else have one installed ??
>
>Anyone in the Boston Area going to the SICP show on Sunday ???
>
>Thanks,
>Mike
I put an electric 12" fan in my Midget. I put it in front of the
radiator. I had to trim some of the housing off so it would fit and I
could get the rad bolted up right. It works great. I have driven it in
90+ degree weather and the gauge only goes to about 3/4. When I am
driving it hovers around 1/2 (who knows what those mean?) but it doesn't
boil over or get too hot. It seems lik I have a leetle bit more power as
I am not driving the fan w/ the engine but that may just be my perception
as it is a little quieter-no fan roar. If you want the details I can get
the info on fan make etc tonight and fill in with the trials and
tribulations of installing.

Larry Macy
78 Midget