steering rack lube

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: steering rack lube
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 08:55:42 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>"BOLIN, TIMOTHY" wrote
>To: "'mrbugeye@hotmail.com'" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
>Subject: steering rack lube
>Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:51:01 -0400
>
>morning peter,
>
>i tried to email you a couple of weeks ago, but i may have had a server
problem.

>alan fisher had told me that you had used a oil gun purchased at a
>marine supply for the purpose of adding oil to the steering rack.  if
>you would, please let me know what all was needed to fit it up to the
>rack fitting.
>
>appreciate your help
>
>tim

Tim,
    The gun is sold as Quicksilver Grease Gun, part number C-91-37299
and cost is approximately $18.00. Oil is Quicksilver Gear Lube Super
Duty in a 250 ml tube, part number 92-98780 cost $6.00. Mercury Marine
stuff should be available at just about any marine dealer. This gun has
a standard grease fitting on the end so it plugs right on to the grease
fitting on the rack.
 I also use this to oil the trunnion on my car instead of grease as I
think it gets all the way through. I just do it more often every 1000
mile or 1 month but that's my personal choice not backed up by any
scientific evidence.

I am sending this out to the list as well, I think this is a good tip
that everyone should know about. I do not know if this applies to 1500
midgets or not.
Peter Samaroo
'59 Bugeye
'71 Midget