Re: LONG Re: The time has come....

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: LONG Re: The time has come....
From: Jaral48462@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:51:30 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-06-11 16:47:19 EDT, jboatri@emory.edu writes:

<< To my understanding, both AHCA and AHC-USA are completely volunteer
 organizations. That means that the people doing the work that results in
 whatever benefit members receive (and we can argue plus and minus later)
 are members just like us. Period. Thus, there should not be an attitude of
 "them" vs "us". As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

 I raise this point because of my background. I have been involved in many
 successful volunteer efforts, both short- and long-term. There is
 absolutely nothing more frustrating than trying to do the best you can only
 to be treated by _fellow members_ like the proverbial idiot on the other
 side of the counter. The goals of a membership can only be met if the
 members communicate their hopes and expectations to the people actually
 doing the work. Better yet, roll up your sleeves and lend a hand. >>

What a breathe of fresh air filtering in through all the smoke that has come
into this sensitive thread.

I have tried to stay out of this discussion and just watch how it plays out,
but I have to comment on your intellegent comments.  I only forwarded part of
your message in order to save internet space but your complete post should be
saved and read regularly to understand that these clubs are exactly what you
say, volunteers that for the most part are dedicated to the Marque.  There may
be some 500 listers on this spridget list if that many.  Probably half may be
Midget owners that are tired of reading the banter going on between the Sprite
owners.  Some of us own both Big Healeys and Sprites.  My garage houses two of
each.  Perhaps not all listers are members of the AHCA or AHC-USA.  You might
recall the November issue of Chatter was entirely on Sprites.  That issue was
well received by us Sprite owners.  Like you I have found those that complain
the loudest are usually the ones that aren't around when the work needs to be
done.  Standing up for the AHCA I have to input the fact that the National
Committee is made up of delegates from all the Local Clubs.  They are
volunteers and put in a lot of time and at times personal money to try and
make it a club for all members.  Although I agree with most of what Reid put
into his post, I take exception to his broad brush description of the type of
people running the AHCA as Socialites.  I belong to both clubs and stand by my
statement that he refered to that "The AHC-USA is a local West Coast Club with
national membership and has a very nice Magazine".  I have enjoyed their
magazine for quite a few years now but no other benefits.  Like the AHCA they
are a group of Volunteers so how can I bad mouth their efforts.  My membership
in the AHCA has provided me the opportunity to meet and associate with a great
many wonderful people that have helped me with my cars and provided me with a
social life with individuals that I share a common interest with.  If that
makes me a Socialite then so be it.  I still enjoy driving my cars, watching
vintage races, attending many Healey and British Car events and getting my
hand greasy working on the cars.  In between I spend a lot of time publishing
our Local Club Newsletter, working on Conclave 98 and the Web Site.  HMMMMM no
wonder I'm still single.

Thanks for your comments Jeff.  I just might publish it in the Next issue of
WHEEL SPIN.  With your permission of course.

Ron Mitchell
Editor, South East Michigan AHC (Wheel Spin)
Web Master, Conclave 98 Update (you wouldn't believe how much time that took
me to set up.)