RE: Dilemma

To: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Dilemma
From: "Thorpe, Jeffrey" <jthorpe@kilstock.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:02:00 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
For the first nine years I owned my Bugeye project, I had nowhere to
work on it and it was stored with relatives or in various commercial
storage spaces.  Then for a while I was able to work on it in an
apartment garage, even though that was technically against the rules.
Then I had a big dilemma, as I was moving from Riverside CA to Atlanta.
Fortunately my new employer paid for the move, but unfortunately most of
the big moving companies will not move an unregistered, inoperable car!
I found one that was willing to just shove it up into the truck and off
it went (at that point, I really might have had to get rid of it; the
cost of U-hauling it cross country would have been obscene).  Then more
storage here, and now I finally have a house with a garage and workshop.

Over the years, I probably spent more renting storage spaces and those
dinky apartment garages than the car is worth.  Yes that makes no sense
but neither does the choice to own one of these in the first place!
Some caveats:  many storage facilities, like movers, will not accept
unregistered and/or inoperable cars.  Most apartments with garages do
not permit you to do terrible things like change your oil, let alone
rebuild LBCs.  Of course, what they don't know won't hurt them, so it
may be better to be discrete than ask up front...

Jeff Thorpe
'60 Bugeye