Re: Stainless was Whitworth tools

To: jthorpe@kilstock.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stainless was Whitworth tools
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com (Richard L. Bergstrom)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 21:33:28 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Peter, I think you are right, and I do not believe here is such a
>thing
>as grade 8 stainless due to limitations in the alloy.  According to a
>book I have at home that was written by a real race engineer whose
>name
>escapes me, stainless should never be used in any application where a
>failure would matter.

Carroll Smiths Nut's Bolts and Fastners is a great reference to read
about fastner hardware.  I have a copy around here somewhere if you need
an ISBN number.

The rest of his books are great too!
Drive to win  (or is ot Think to win)
Prepare to win
Engineer to win
Tune to win

Fascinating stuff, even if I will likely never use most of it!  You have
to be interested in race car prep to get much out of them.

> Are you sure grade 8 are the right bolts?  Grade 8 are for torqued
applications >they are great for tensile and compressive stresses but are
brittle and have >little resistance to shear stresses, which I think the
wishbone pan bolts have a  >lot of.  Wouldn't grade 5 be better?
>                 Crash

I've heard/read this before too...but what the heck do I know?

Ric Bergstrom,  Richmond,  VA
1973 Midget  1275    '88 240 Volvo   '92  F150    '74 Midget  1275
(apart!)
Central Virginia MG Classics, AMGBA, VMSC