Re: A tale of two dashes

To: samesq@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: A tale of two dashes
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 10:53:28 -0400
Cc: Spridget mail list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Swift Justice wrote:

> Oh list collective wisdom:
>
> Has anyone out there ever tried to put an early '67 dash fascia on a
> late '67 or later car?  The early steel dash had three mounting points
> that the manuals show mount vertically through the lip of the body
> (don't have my early '67 Sprite nearby to check) and the late "padded"
> dash fascia has four mounting points that mount horizontally through a
> turned down lip in the body.
>
> Anybody have a "been there, tried that" to clue me in?

Yes, I have been there and done that twice (at least)

You need the steel dash of course, early style non colapsing steering
column (65, 66, 67 only) the crash pad for the fron lip of the cowl, and
the early style turn signal switch.
You have to drill 2 mounting holes in the cowl very close to the
windsheild. I used chrome bumper bolts and after the wind sheild and
crash pad are on they are not noticable.
Other than that, everything else bolts up. The crash pad covers the old
padded dash mounting holes.
The later steering column is too big for the early dash and with the
early column goes the early signal switch.
Some minor wiring mods are also needed.
It is a weekend project.

Good luck
--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs