Wheel Bearing/Rotor Success! and Problems

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wheel Bearing/Rotor Success! and Problems
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:58:15 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
For those following the progress of my front end work on my '74 Midget I
submit the following progress report.

Thanks to list help and encouragement, I went ahead and used my newly
purchased drift pin on the races of my old wheel bearings still stuck in
the hub.  Presto, two old races out and the hub ready for new bearings!
Not hard once I had the confidence that I wasn't just pounding on the side
of the hub. :)

Next the old rotors to come off the hub.  The nuts had been soaking in new,
nightly baths of Liquid Wrench for about a week and still didn't budge.
Bought the impact driver, got the word on how to use it correctly and
pounded away.  Two came loose after some vigorous whacking.  Heated the
more recalcitrant two just a bit and pounded again.  Whadda ya know?  One
rotor separated from its hub!

Couldn't be more pleased.  I'm thinking I've got it made for getting one
side back together and not far behind on the other side now that I know
what to do.

Here's the problem.  Pretty sure I've got the wrong rotors!  Ordered for a
1974 Midget, but these don't look like my old ones.  Whereas the old ones
were approximately 2" high, the new ones are only about 1 1/4".  Doesn't
seem to me that the brake caliper can fit in between the disk and "hub" of
the rotor.

What says the mind of the list?  What size should the rotor be?  My part
number on the rotor is 08-1633-10 though that could just be the SICP code.
I'll be calling Special Interest Car Parts tomorrow and will get it fed
ex'ed if need be.  I've just got to get this back together this weekend and
back in the garage for any future repairs (like the rear suspension).

Thanks for past and future help.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget