Wheel Bearings

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wheel Bearings
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 21:37:11 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At the risk of being labled a public menace again, I'd like to ask a
question about wheel bearings.

It seemed to me that I drove the bearings onto my hub correctly.  The inner
and outer bearings both seemed snug up against the "retaining rings" (if I
can call them that) in the hub.  Then I went to put the hub on the stub
axle.  The hub wasn't going in far enough to reattach the brake caliper so
I pushed a bit harder.  At this point, the inner race of the outer bearing
seemed to pop out a bit.  I'm not sure if I'll have to buy a new bearing
yet or if I can fix it when I pull the hub off to install my new rotors.

Anyway, what mistake(s) did I make?  Should I have put the inner bearing
and oil seal in, then put the hub on the stub axle and then drive the outer
bearing on only at this point?  Also, it seems I could use a 15/16" pipe as
a mechanism to drive the inner bearing into the hub while on the axle.
Does this sound right?

Hoping for an answer as I should have parts together to complete the front
suspension work by Wednesday.

Thanks so much.
Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget