More Northern California Roads and Wire Wheel Questions

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More Northern California Roads and Wire Wheel Questions
From: Fred Krampits <fred@hprrc725.rose.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:41:55 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sunday I decided to put my "little beauty" for a real test. I took it
for a 250+ mile trip up HWY 49 through Nevada City, North San Juan,
Downiesville and Sierra City. It wasn't the same as the last part of 49
south of I80 with all the hairpin turns, but still some breathtaking
country. Going uphill to Downiesville I got 33 MPG, coming back I got 38
MPH, included in this was 20+ miles each way of 70MPH+ I80 driving.

Here's my question: Once again the Wire Wheels got me, I had a flat on
the way back from Sierra City and had to change it on the road, praying
nobody would whip around a corner and kill me. I've checked out the
British Wire Wheel web page, it looks to me that I can buy new wires for
the same price (actually cheaper) than reconditioning my original ones.
Is there any point in reconditioning my original ones? Is the quality of
the new ones comparable? Which wheels are better, Dunlop or Dayton?

Fred Krampits
1963 MG Midget MK I 1098CG
4 flats from spokes cutting tubes (I now duct tape after every flat)