RE: Brakes - Confused

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Brakes - Confused
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 07:47:42 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Philip -

It's almost certainly the flexible hoses.  If it were further back in the
system, the wheel would have freed up when you opened up the line at the
chassis.  To make absolutely, finally certain, open the bleed screw on the
caliper.  If the wheel frees then, it's time for new hoses.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net

On Friday, June 26, 1998 12:45 AM, Philip Hubbard
[SMTP:phubbard@carroll.com] wrote:
> Now I =am= confused.
>
> Following list advice, I decided to try and see if my brakes locking on
and
> staying locked was a problem with my flexible hoses.  I was told to
loosen
> the connection and if the brakes unlocked, the problem was in my hoses.
>
> I went to the car to test.  On a whim I decided to depress the brake
pedal
> before loosening the flexible hose.  The pedal went almost to the floor
> several times and then seemed to build up pressure and was firm.  It has
> never done that before.  Last time I was driving (seems many moons ago)
> brakes seemed fine.  Ok, now to check the brakes.  Both front brakes are
> locked on solid.
>
> I loosened the driver's side hose at the chassis until it started weeping
> fluid.  No change in the locked on status of my brake.  Tightened it back
> up to stop the leak.  Was this not enough of a test?  Should I have
> loosened the connection as I did and then loosen the connection at the
> brake caliper to fairly test it?
>
> BTW, brake fluid level seemed to be high, but I swear there was a pile of
> deposits in the resevoir.  Could some of this gunk be blocking my lines
> somewhere?  What to do now?  Bleed the system dry and flush it somehow?
> I'm starting to doubt it is my flexible hoses and is something more
general.

> I never noticed a problem until I started doing the front suspension.
 How