bearing spacer

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: bearing spacer
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 09:02:51 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Spridgeteers,

Like Phillip, I am replacing a front bearing. The car is a '65 Sprite with
wire wheels. My question is: should the bearing spacer (bearing distance
piece; the cone between the inner and outer bearings), be slightly loose,
or should it be a tight fit once both bearings are installed. As fitted
when I pulled the hub, the spacer was loose. In pulling the hub, both inner
races of both bearing came off with the rest of the hub.

Obviously, the bearings are going to sit against their respective seats
inside the hub, so there is no adjustment that can be made to tighten up
the spacer. But, my car is such a hodgepodge that possibly an incorrect
spacer (maybe one for steel wheels?) was used.

TIA,

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision