Re: Updated light bulbs

To: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Updated light bulbs
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:55:44 +0800
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Tom

I don't know about most of the bulbs (stop/tail/indicators/parking)
although I notice flashlights now tend to come with a different type of
bulb which is brighter - I don't know if there is an automotive equivalent.
- Does anyone else on the list know??

OTOH, if you have standard headlights you can definately improve upon them
by installing Quarts Halogen headlights.  I did this a several months ago
and it made a world of difference.  I priced some Hella units at  a spare
parts outlet (REPCO) and they were about $150 bucks I think, maybe more!  I
then tried the local discount Auto shop  and they wanted about $40 for
another brand.  Then I priced them at wreckers/boneyard/breakers and was
able to get a pair for $20 including globes.

A few points about them.

1.  Some have a curved front, like the original sealed beams (I'm assuming
here that US models were the same as Aussie ones), others have a flat front
(Lens).  I got the flat, but I now think the curved look better, and fit
slightly better.

2.  You can just take out the old units and plug in the new.  That is what
I did and I got a dramatic improvement.  For optimal results you really
should wire in a relay close to the lights, but as I say, I didn't bother.

3.  You may notice that you can get H3 or H4 and others.  I **THINK** the
difference is the wattage.  Others on the list can no doubt advise us.  I
fitted H4s.

Finally, of course, you can maximise the visibility by cleaning and
checking all connections and earths.

Yep, Your going to have the world's safest Sprite!

Greg

 >It seems to me that modern car lights are a lot brighter than what the old
>cars had. Is this because they are using different light bulbs that are
>intrinsically brighter? I would not mind replacing all of the light bulbs
>if it meant that the 10 square inches of lighting on a Bugeye was made a
>lot easier for other drivers to see.
>
>Anybody got any info on this?
>
>Tom Zuchowski
>'61 Bugeye

Greg Mahney in Perth, Western Australia.

Mk 2A, Sprite, with a 948 engine (and it's my wife's anyway!)

e-mail:  mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au