Re: Transmission Help

To: Lancer7676@aol.com
Subject: Re: Transmission Help
From: Swift Justice <samesq@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:40:24 -0700
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Lancer7676@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/24/98 5:42:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Nory@webtv.net
> writes:
> Just how difficult is it to open and restore a tranny? I have been places
> inside the 1275 and the 1500 engine I never dreamed of being (including total
> rebuild of the 1275 and bearing/clutch replacement in the 1500), and I am
> fairly handy with tools and thinking things out, but have never been inside a
> transmission.  Is this tough ground for a beginner with a Haynes manual?

David,

    I rebuilt the transmission on the '79 about a year and half ago.  I used the
Bentley manual and the Haynes manual.  Wasn't too much trouble, except for the
needle roller bearing install and the fact that I had to replace some gears and
that was expensive.  Probably spent $350 to do the whole thing, bearings, gears
and all.  The hardest part by far was to get the stupid thing out of the car and
then back in again.  If you are average mechanically, have the manuals,
beverages
of your choice and a good set of punches, gear pullers and "drifts", you can do
it.

Good Luck,

Steve.
'79 Midget
'67 Sprite
'66 Sprite

--
|   Steve McGee,
|   Atty. at large
|   samesq@pacbell.net
|   http://home.pacbell.net/samesq/

    "Only if you are unafraid of the truth will you ever find it."