Re: Armstrong Lever Arm Dampers

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Armstrong Lever Arm Dampers
From: Peter C <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 14:15:31 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daniel,
        There are 2 springs in the valve assembly. The small one controls the
rate
of the arm going down (spring in extension), the larger controls the arm
going up (spring in compression). Each of these springs can be modified
separately without affecting the other, contrary to merely changing
viscosities. The large spring is either changed to a heavier rate (TR6,
AH3000) or shimmed where it sits on the valve (i.e. not shimmed on the body
or inner end), or both. When you take these valves out you'll usually find
shims. If not, grab some off of some other shock. The small spring is
adjusted by tightening the tiny retaining nut you'll see. These are silver
soldered but are pretty easily turned. You can try to re-solder, or not.
Pictures with circles and arrows (and a paragraph on the back of each one
showing... never mind) will be posted on our page this month. At least that
is my goal.
And a Happy New Year to you.
Peter C
---------
At 02:15 PM 1/4/99 -0500, Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>Happy new year to you all - no Y2K worries looming up for Spridget owners.
>
>I remember a while back a lot of postings about oil viscosity for Armstrong
>lever arm dampers and despite keeping thousands of old e-mails don't
appear to
>have kept any on this subject.  What I do recall is that there is an
Armstrong
>expert on the list who rebuilds the units.  Maybe that person or anyone else
>on the list can answer my questions.
>
>Does a modified (uprated) valve for the Armstrong lever arm damper change the
>damping characteristics in: bump only, rebound only, or both?
>
>Does changing the oil viscosity in the Armstrong lever arm damper change the
>damping characterisistics in: bump only, rebound only, or both?
>
>Thanks for the help I know will come.
>

>Daniel1312

Peter Caldwell
1 very rough Innocenti
(the Sprite with an accent)
among other LBCs and 4WDBCs
Contact for: The Columbia County Bonspiel
        Curling on 13 sheets @ 5 clubs in WI
        Feb 5 - 7 1999