Re[2]: Dip stick spacer.

To: Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com (Dave Vrba), Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re[2]: Dip stick spacer.
From: Peter C <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:21:20 -0800
Cc: "Noel; William M" <noel@BATTELLE.ORG>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Please don't shoot me, but what I did when faced with this dilemma was pour
in exactly the amount of oil specified in the capacities section of your
favorite manual, let it sit (drain down) for a while, then put the dipstick
in till it reads full and mark that spot. Then put on the washer as Frank C
suggests. (I always used an old coil wire boot myself)
Peter C
----------

At 10:57 AM 1/6/99 -0500, Dave Vrba wrote:
>     On my 1275, the dip stick hits the bottom of the pan with a "clunk"
>     when inserted.  Is this too deep of penetration thus reading higher
>     oil level than really there is????  What's the proper depth??
>
>     Dave
>     '62 MKII Sprite
>     1275 - weber
>     Dublin, CA
>

>Subject: Re: Dip stick spacer.
>Author:  Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu> at SONYCOM
>Date:    1/4/99 3:32 PM
>

>Hmmm, does this spacer raise the dip stick out of the tube?!
>This would explain why I lose oil pressure when brakling hard - I am
>running too little oil because my dip stick sits too low!
>
>Frank, could you clarify?
>
>Ulix
>
>On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Frank Clarici wrote:
>
>> Noel, William M wrote:
>> .  Seems I recall reading that
>> > there is a felt/wool spacer that fits around the dipstick and seals the
>> > tube.  Is this correct?
>> >
>> > I have looked at the catalogs that I have and don't see a part like
>>

>> I can only speak for 1275s here.
>> The dipsticks did have a thin rubber pad. They are about 3/16" thick.
>> An assortment of plumbing faucet washers will provide something useable.
>> (not Concours or original but for less then a buck you can buy package
>> of them.) If you have a friendly hardware store nearby, ask them if you
>> can pick one out of their bin. It should only cost about a dime or so.
>> Take the dipstick with you, it needs to fit tight enough so it will not
>> fall off when you check the oil. Get the flat kind not the cone shaped
>> faucet washers.
>>
>> Good luck
>> Frank Clarici
>> Toms River, NJ
>> Lots of LBCs
>> http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut

>                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9

Peter Caldwell
1 very rough Innocenti
(the Sprite with an accent)
among other LBCs and 4WDBCs
Contact for: The Columbia County Bonspiel
        Curling on 13 sheets @ 5 clubs in WI
        Feb 5 - 7 1999