MGB Exhaust Modifications

To: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Exhaust Modifications
From: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 08:28:52 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The other day I was talking with a buddy (who owns a muffler shop) about
the exhaust on Miss Maggie, the 74.5 RB MGB.  He noted that the exhaust
manifold splits into two pipes, then joins into a single pipe immediately
before the first muffler.

In short, he proposes replacing the two-into-one system by installing two
pipes, two center mufflers, and two end mufflers (1and 5/8" ID piping).
This would run along the same path as the original exhaust system, and
use either two pairs of 'glass packs or turbo mufflers.

My only investment would be the cost of the mufflers, which he estimates
at $50, and I would have a new system from the exhaust flange back to the
rear tip of the exhaust pipes.  Admittedly, he is not a LBC person, and
says that he doesn't think that this would make a huge difference in
power, breathing, etc (as near as I can tell, he just thinks it would be
a kinda cool thing to do -- and, I have to admit, it would add nicely to
the "gee whiz" factor).

Any reasons why this shouldn't be done?

Rich
Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA

'74.5 RB MGB "Miss Maggie"
'78 Chevy Half-Ton "Waltzin' Matilda"  (LBC Support Vehicle)
'79 Midget "Miss Molly"

richard.arnold@juno.com  or  rdarnold@neonramp.com