Re: Brake light switch

To: "Noel, William M" <noel@BATTELLE.ORG>
Subject: Re: Brake light switch
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:34:31 -0800
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
"Noel, William M" wrote:

> I have an unusual situation on my '72 Midget.  I broke both wires from the
> terminal connectors on the brake light switch.  Not a problem I say to
> myself I can resolder the connections.  However, rather than resolder the
> connections in place, I though it would be better to remove the switch and
> clean the connections and do the job properly.  Upon removing the switch, I
> get the impression that the switch may not be the correct one because, in
> order to remove the switch, I have to press the terminal connection back
> against the base of the terminal in order to rotate and unscrew the switch.
> If I didn't press the terminal wings back against the base the terminal,
> which is like a short wing, doesn't have enough clearance on the top of the
> fender well.
>
> It appears to me that the entire switch assembly is too long and too wide to
> be mounted with the wires soldered.  I am new and I don't have a basis of
> comparison, is it possible that I have the wrong switch?  If I buy a new
> switch, will the fit be better, or is it true that I need to mount the
> switch and then solder the connections?

You have the correct switch.
To properly remove it you must remove the pedal box. Of course doing
what you are doing is what we all do to get the switch out.
It hits the wheel well. If originality is not an issue, a properly
placed small "ding" in the wheel arch will help in future removal and
refitting of the brake light switch.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ