Re: Bugeye BMC Hardtop/Numbering

To: bthor@master.adams.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bugeye BMC Hardtop/Numbering
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:25:55 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Brian,

Ours is #1557.

SNIP
<< I'm curious to see how high of a number we can
locate.  If they are in fact sequential, we can estimate the number
produced.  Assuming that mine was the last hardtop produced (which I'm sure
is not the case) that would mean at a minimum ~8.7% of all Bugeyes produced
(with later windscreens - AN5L/5477 onward) came equipped with a BMC
hardtop or received one after the fact from the BMC dealer as an add on
accessory.>>

Strictly as a casual observation of Sprites in the late '50s and early '60s in
So. Calif. (highest production delivery area I think) 10% with hardtops might
be high.  Of that 10% I would guess that at least half of those were after
market (non-BMC/Healey) hardtops.  Many dealers used after market hardtops
rather than or in addition to factory units.

<<Where have all the hardtops gone.  They certainly didn't rust away with the
rest of the car!  >>

But they do crack and crumble away.  This was still the early days for
production of  fiberglass parts.

FWIW

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)