Re: Tires: A Story (Long)

To: adrian@icx.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tires: A Story (Long)
From: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 06:28:12 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>Wouldn't purchasing a RoadHazard warranty in effect cover for the
>manufacturer's warranty?  A belt separating at speeds sure sounds like
>a road hazard to me!

I'd have to say that it depends on what the warranties say, your local
state's statutes governing implied and express warranties, and what the
guys who sold it to you said when you bought the tires.  The
manufacturer's warranty probably only covers defects in the tire itself
(related to the manufacturing process), while a road hazard warranty
probably only covers problems caused by the tire's contact with the
ground (for example, running over a nail).

>The only drawback was the shop said I'd have to bring them
>ONLY the wheels for balancing later on, and not the car.  But that's
>okay because the Midget wouldn't fit on their lift anyway.

Seems fair.  Shops around here charge you for removing and replacing the
wheel from the vehicle, and if they didn't do this when they sold the
tires, they probably shouldn't be expected to do it later on.

Hmmmm.  Now that I think about it, I always seem to get quicker and
better service if I bring in the wheel, rather than the whole vehicle.

Rich