Speedometer Questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedometer Questions
From: AHSprite78@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 18:17:54 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Okay, after finishing the restoration on the sprite, the speedo didn't work.
turns out that it was the speedometer cable.  So, I replace that with some
part from Victoria British (probibly Korean Junk)  The speedometer then worked
up until about 45 mph when it then decides I have jumped into hyperspace.
Think of this 45-80 in about, get this, .1 seconds.  That has to be a world
record.  Maybe not.  I was informed that the cable was to long on the end and
that it had somehow probibly goofed up the magnets in the speedometer.
So today I decided to tear apart the speedo.  It seems like the magnet inside
of it doesn't have quite enough pull any more, and the disc that rotates, the
one that controls the needle, doesn't more smoothly anymore.  It also sticks
at about 30 mph.  Is there a way to fix this or do i need to buy a new one?
If a new one is needed where can I get a decent replacement, unlike Victoria's
Korean junk?
Thanks for any help.

Matthew Smith
'67 Sprite