Re: Tire Sizes

To: CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire Sizes
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 06:41:16 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Can you go out in the garage and measure the backspacing?  Lay a straight
edge across the rim and measure from the straightedge to the place where
the hub hits the wheel.  I think that is why mine would foul the fenders.
 That is probably why I have never had spring clearance problems.  Seems
to me I remember that 6" is too wide for SVRA vintage rules anyways.

Ric

On Fri, 26 Feb 99 21:54:31 EST CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM writes:
>Ref:  Your note of Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:02:38 -0500
>
>>>Can you really get 185/60's on without any flares?
>>>
>>>Mine has 205's on what I think are 6" (but may be bigger as I have
>never
>>>had tires off the rims) and there is no way that they will fit
>under
>>>stock sheet metal.  The car has also been lowered, so that may have
>an
>>>effect.  Anyone know what wheel tire combo the vintage racers are
>>>running?
>
>  When last I was autocrossing "Emma", I was using a set of
>second-hand,
>shaved, Goodrich T/As in 185/60 on 13x6 Vega wheels (still got 'em,
>but
>Emma hasn't run in nigh onto ten years).  No flares at all, slight
>spacer
>up front.  Car was not lowered though, but they -looked- like they'd
>have
>cleared the fenders. (Now that I think of it, there's a bolt (upper
>trunion?)
>that -may- need minor shaving. I think this was more because Emma has
>the
>big-disc-brake setup than because of the wheels though.  Seems I've
>heard of
>that in discussions on the list about the big brakes.)
>  Wheel offset makes a tremendous difference in fitting under
>fenders.
>Most aftermarket wheels (-especially- American made) have way too
>much
>negative offset.  Most stock wheels, even for rear-wheel-drive cars,
>have
>at least a little -positive- offset.
>  Not sure about the vintage racers, but I think they are running
>near-stock
>width rims.  I'm pretty sure I've heard someone on the list say he was
>doing
>vintage racing. Hopefully he'll respond.
>  (I'm on the digest(and do my email from work, 2nd shift though)so
>probably
>won't see another list update 'til Monday.)
>     Ed

Richard L. Bergstrom, President, Central Virginia British Car Club,
Richmond, VA
The Central VA British Car Club welcomes all forms of automobiles from
the British Isles.
 If you live within 100 miles of Richmond you should join us!   Email me
for INFO!